Friday, January 30, 2009

The Creative Process

Writing is an interesting art. To be able to take words and form them in a way that is interesting and compelling to the reader. This is apparently not something that comes easily to many people. The art of writing seems lost. Nowadays simply putting together a coherent sentence is challenging enough. Email and texting have helped to seriously undermine writing as a whole. Everything is pared down and abbreviated so as to get the point across with minimal thought and effort. I'm sure I drive people crazy because when I text or IM, I still write in complete sentences. I know it's slower, but I just can't get myself to compromise when it comes to communication.
That said, finding inspiration to write is my big challenge. I've got three different novels I've started to write and then just stopped. I'm not talking a few pages; I've got one that's around 100. I just suddenly lost my muse. It was like somebody pulled the plug on my creative energy. Then I realized what the problem was. I need to be in a bad mood to write. If I'm in a good mood I have no creative motivation. When I'm pissed I like to just burn off the frustration putting words to paper (or screen as it were).
Anyways, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'm going to do some real writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment