Saturday, February 7, 2009

Athletic Scholarships

First off, isn't that an oxymoron? So let me get this straight: Student #1 has a 2.75 GPA. Student #2 has a 1.9 GPA but can catch a ball and run fast. So we're going to pay for student #2's education. What kind of bullshit is that? I thought the purpose of college was to expand your knowledge and career skills, and not simply to sell tickets to ball games.
God, this just pisses me off to no end every time I see it happen. I went to college on my own money and student loans, struggling to make ends meet, when all of these sub-moron convicts in training get free rides because they can run the 40 yard dash in under 5 seconds. I say again: Bullshit. It's even better when these bastards choose not to finish college to become eligible for the professional drafts. Screw them! You want to do that? Fine, then every dollar the school has fronted to you is now payable in full before you can leave. And, you have to make a public apology to all the students who couldn't get a scholarship because you were being a schmuck and tying up the money.
That's it. No more money goes to collegiate sports until I start seeing chess team scholarships. Or grants for debaters. Something, anything to stop the proliferation of stupid people in this country. Because, for the most part, that's what athletic scholarships do: Reward the stupid because they can rush for 100 yards a game or shoot solidly from the outside. What a load of crap.


1 comment: