Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On Reporters Who Speak With No Discernable Accent Until They Say Their Own Name

Maybe I'm the only one who goes berserk when they see it happen, but I just can't stand it. I sit watching the evening news as the reporter does her piece, then goes to sign off: "For channel 7 news this is Judy Gharrrrrr-seeeeh-aaaah" What the Hell is that? Garcia is pronounced "Gar-see-uh" Ethnic pride is all fine and dandy, but save that crap for your Ethnic Day Parade. You're on the news, reporting to Midwesterners. Speak like one. And you know what? Nobody gives a rat's ass where you're from or how you pronounce your name. Just tell me how drunk the driver was that hit that Church bus and how many people the crazed student shot. All I want from the news is sports, weather, and body counts. Keep your pride to yourself. If you can't say your own name in the same manner you say everything else, then just do me a favor and take the toaster with you the next time you take a bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment